Friday 11 April 2014

Majestic Blues of Pangong Lake

Majestic blues:

As the crimson rays of the sun embrace the sky and spread its beauty all over,the crystal clear water of Pangong Tso stand still. The sky like a proud primadonna looked down and was mysteriously admiring her own alluring image in the water, while I stood speechlessly trying to figure out what I was actually feeling with the majestic blues in front of me. 


Nature can actually bring out the sleeping artistic bent of mind in anybody and the same syndrome struck me too. However when I decided to pen down my incredible experience I understood how difficult it was to describe “Pangong Lake’’.

When I and my husband Avishek were trying to decide on a holiday destination, the first name that came to my mind was Maldives and the only reason why I wanted to be there was, my love or lust for the color blue. 

During my stay in Goa, I had the opportunity of meeting a Swedish couple, who had come to the happening tropical beach to celebrate their 26th wedding anniversary. They had mentioned to us about the crystal clear blue sea in Maldives where aquatic life was almost visible through the transparent waters.

However, my husband was adamant about going to ‘Leh Ladakh’ and after a very long discussion (read argument), I almost unwilling endorsed Avishek’s quest to see the cold desert.




As a usual curious me, I googled a lot about the place. Its culture, landscape, flora and fauna slowly started intriguing my fancies and last but definitely not the least I saw the image of “Pangong Lake”.  And from that point of time I started counting days for my vacation to start. Amidst the incredibly different landscape, there…… was my majestic blues waving the magicalwand towards me.Days passed and the long awaited vacation started, Ladakh was the most beautiful and soulful answer to the question “why we thought India to be incredible?” From serene monasteries, rocky snowcapped mountains to lush green Nubra valley, Ladakh had it aall to quench the thirst of a traveler. It’s really hard to believe, that there can be a place where snowcapped mountains surrounds sandy deserts with double hoofed camels going around. But the best was yet to come, the icing to the yummy cake.




It was a long and memorable journey to the incredible blues. It started very early in the morning, pulling ourselves out of the warm quilt was quite an effort. Our journey started after a light breakfast and a steaming cup of coffee. It was the second last day of our vacation, the atmosphere in the car was strange. The feeling of coming to the end of this beautiful journey was creating a void inside on the other hand expectation and excitement of beholding the incredible was building within us.


The route that we were following had a lot to offer to us as tourists. As we drove past the cityof Leh, we could see the white stanti stupa and red monasteries behind us, soon the topography changed and we were surrounded by huge rocks in varied shades of grey, black and even blue and green. We gazed at the nature around us, speechless and spell bound.  A visual which I will never forget is “some great breed black horses running at full speed with the exotic backdrop”. 

We were six of us in the car, excluding our driver ‘phunsuk’, our gang really got along well during the vacation and we actually had become friends. We had a doctor couple from Mumbai, an IT/ marketing couple from Pune and we two are chemical engineers. Coming from different professions and backgrounds, we had two things in common. One-we were fun loving and two-we were nature lovers; hence a trip to Ladakh was an ideal meeting ground for people who were destined to become great friends in future.
Suddenly a royal blue patch in the grey mountains attracted my attention, and our driver pointed out shouting “Pangong Tso” in Tibetan language. 



My heart almost came to my mouth, my majestic blues have arrived!! As the car drove near to the lake, the sight that struck our eye was out of the world. A crystal clear stretch of blue water lay in front, almost still. Surrounded by rocky snow 
capped Himalayan Range was Pangong Lake, situated 4,350 mts above sea level. It was one of its kind; the chilled mountain breeze created ripples through the water body while rays of the warm sun fell on it and created the magical color effect. Even the most unromantic person in the world will want to romance nature here. We just could not stop clicking pictures, but none of the images could portray half of the actual beauty. The most freakish thing was the changing color of the lake to various hues of blue and green with the position of the sun. As theday progressed, the sky changed color, as if the sky was a proud queen having mood swings and with every changing mood, the beautiful lady takes a minute to admire her image on the huge minor created by Mother Nature. 





The picture of my majestic blues will forever remain etched in my mind, my soul never felt so free before. 

Ladakh is a place, which is worth visiting, its beauty actually cannot be described in words but should be felt deep within. So if you are a nature lover, go ahead, feel Leh Ladakh and my “majestic blues”. 


Aritra Chakrabarty Sengupta
visit my website: http://www.talestotell.co.in/

No comments:

Post a Comment