Friday 16 October 2015

Durga Puja - Celebrating Life




As I open my eyes to a morning of festivity
As I open my eyes to joy and gaiety.
Corporeal free spiritedness touch my inside
To face rough life, I feel I am ready.
 
As autumn strikes my land of colours
As autumn spreads its hue.
The sky turns an intimate blue
How jollity strikes my life of race, I certainly have no clue.
 
My ear imagines the rhythm of “Dhak”
As my nose smells divine smoke.
My triple eyed Mother is soon to reach me
As my being will in celebrations soak.
 
With the smell of new clothes filling all homes
Impulsive shoppers running around.
The crowd, the make-up and unsaid love-stories
Each year Sharodutsav leaves me astound.
 
Festivals are colourful bits of life
Festivals are phases of cheer.
Breathing fresh life into saddened hearts
Bonding the near and dear.
 
Aritra Chakrabarty Sengupta
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Nice one. I am imagining the rhythm of Dhak too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't witnessed a real Durgapuja, but in Bombay, there are colonies of Bengalis, who celebrate it with a ferver. I have seen that and imagine the real thing.

    Your poem made it seem so real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do come to see, Powai Shardotsav by Spandan, in Hiranandani gardens, opposite cafe manjii, Powai :-)

      Delete